• Announcements

• Big Dumb Object

How To: Logging into the forum.   08/19/2016

Having issues figuring out how to login? It's actually very simple and only takes a few minutes! Just follow these steps: Go to your Account CP on rebirthro.com Find the character whose name you want to use as a display name on the forum Click on "Actions" Click on "Set as forum display name" You can now login on the forum with either your email address or display (character) name, and your in-game password! That's all there is to it! See, simple! If you are having issues getting into the forums you can contact us on support.rebirthro.com -- you also login there with your in game username/password. If you can't register for some reason or are unable to login, email us at this address for assistance (use an email associated with the account you are having issues with if you can -- obviously if you can't register this doesn't apply).
Big Dumb Object

The Return of Eir

65 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Hakuu said:

I agree with a lot that is being said here, tho I disagree with a total wipe.

Things that I believe that HAVE to happen:

1: Total wipe of ALL mvp cards and mini boss cards. If not, then PERMANENTLY disable during any WoE setting.

2: Introduce BG/WoE Supply vendors.

3: Lower MVP Card drop rate to 0.01%

and even if those things do happen, which they should, what is the selling point for Eir to new players? Just another low rate with over powered customs? There are plenty of well active low rates on the market already with sub 500 players at all times. How do you compete with them? Answer is, unless you make drastic changes, you can't.

Fuck it, I agree. Wipe everything. Add higher rates, add BG/WoE supply Vendors, lower MVP Card drop rate.

You're not even true to your words or even know what you wanted. Instead of wipe everything and start from zero, how about you switch to Thor? It's high rates that for sure. I believe you agree with everybody starts from zero and Thor is probably something exactly what you are looking for. Thor is still young. Perhaps you can suggest your ideas there.

Technically, people would want active GM who would attend and entertain players since Eir is kinda GM-less at the moment. New features should be implemented. BDO have already stressed out on figuring out the selling point of Eir or it uniqueness that differentiate Eir from other low rate server. Even if you had been veterans far longer before I even came, bare in mind that older generation players is not the same as current generation players who want different wants and needs. These factors will have to be taken into account. I had been jumping from server to another in the past 2 years and I find that Eir is still missing a unique features. Premium items is out of the question because that is one of the special features Eir possesses. People wanted to donates or farm zeny to buy these premium items and this helps fund RRO. I don't think it is an issue. Or rather, admin could tweak on it's bonuses though if seems fit.

Regarding your idea upon lowering the drop rate for MVP, that is something interesting that all of us could consider and develop more ideas on how we can make Eir better. Battleground current features are very new to most of us. Having BG vendors will increase the amount of players joining WoE. But that would take away the fun part where you need to work hard for WoE.

@Big Dumb Object How about open a thread on server development where we can specifically discuss and see what's good and not for the server.

4 hours ago, Fizsterina said:

Random stuff.

Why the hell would you be trying to figure out a selling point for Eir when Eir itself is fucking broken. There is no selling point that you can make to actually attract people if you don't fix the server first. I already talked Hakuu about why a wipe is a must and that's why he ended up editing his comment. It's really damn simple so I shall explain it to you.

The server consists primarily of old players. Those players farmed the basic gear many years ago so they have no reason to farm or buy any of it anymore, instead of looking at a Odin's/Stone Buckler/Magni's set they will be looking at getting a Diabolus Manteau/Diablos Boots set with a Diabolus Ring/Armor/Robe set. That makes the server to revolve around high end gear with no one ever providing the "newbie" type of items. If people can't get Diabolus items then they'd rather go for Variant Shoes and Bison Horn or, in the worst case, a Tidal Shoes/Wool Scarf set. The issue is that even Tidal Boots were harder to find in shops than Variant shoes while there was an overflow of Wool Scarves when everyone went to Necromancers to leech alts.

On the same note, farming cards wasn't even a thing done all that often either and that just makes the situation with the "newbie" gear even worse. Why? Because when you could just use the zenny you have piled up after years of playing why would you go farm a Zerom card when you could just buy it off someone who got it from opening 100 OCAs as loot from WoE castles or MVPs. If no one goes to kill Zeroms then there's no one who ends up getting Panties that could be sold to new players and even in the cases where someone actually does go farm the card then they'll find it too tedious to bother storing all the Panties when you at most get from them 20-50k. Instead of using a slot in the shop for a 20-50k Pantie that who knows when will it sell why would you not want to sell a 1-5m card or equipment you just have in your storage but never use? That's without even talking about how a lot of people have a monopoly on items so they're free to overprice things and everyone else just has to put up with it, why should a god damned Undershirt/Pantie combo require over 100k to buy? No old player wants to kill Pasanas when you can just Turn Undead an Anubis to death and teleport around the map only killing Anubis.

Do you not see the issue? As things stand the server already reached the end of the line. Why would anyone want to pick a broken and dead server when there are so many other options to pick from? Even if you get your so wanted "selling point" for Eir that still doesn't change the fact that currently the server doesn't help, support nor caters to anyone who hasn't spend at least several years on it already with a huge monopoly on things by older players.

If all you want is a server that allows you to dwelve in your nostalgia that, at most, only has people doing things 1 or 2 hours a week (WoE) while dead the rest of the time then you're on the right track. But it's worth noting that is what Eir ended up as before dying and being taken down.

Edited by Myounar (see edit history)

If I receive messages in my mail advertising the return of Eir, I come back to experience the nostalgia, both in good and bad. Was Eir balanced because of all the customs, long history of stockpiling strong items and cards, and the way in which guilds acted towards one another? No it wasn't balanced and didn't cater that well to an influx of a lot of new players, but it still had players playing and now ones would pop in now and then. There was also a time in which the management of the server was working on helping new players have a better experience in starting out on the server like adding the beginner buffers, newbie gear vendors etc. I would say that there are ways to work towards making the server more appealing to new players, but this is again something that would have to be worked after getting the server restored to normal functionality.

In regards to your wish for wipes and other major changes, I will tell you what my personal issue is: You are looking to starting a new server, not restoring Eir. Simple as that, what would make it the Eir that people are returning to if everything was changed and you could suddenly reach max level and all the gear you want without any effort?

One thing that people are propably overlooking quite a bit in regards to the whether or not the server would pay for itself in regards to upkeep costs etc. is the fact that players who would be returning to play on the server have more than likely advanced in life to situations where they might be more willing to put some money into their entertainment. I was also hoping that the level of discussion that could be had around certain topics would have matured along with people but it does bring some weight on my shoulders seeing certain old rivalries showing up so fast.

8 hours ago, Fizsterina said:

@Big Dumb Object Help people are bullying me T_TTTTTTTTTTT

Lol. You attack me but ignore everything Myounar said. He's changed my mind, I've come to terms with the fact that you brain dead idiots will never accept change, you will continue to grasp at what little "love" you have for a server that's been dead for the past 5 years. And so the cycle continues, you idiots won't accept change, server continues to be shit and stays dead. YOU are the reason this server has never made progress, YOU are the reason this server is dead, YOU are the reason RRO will never make ANY money from Eir. You speak to me as though you were part of any major event that happened inside Eir, but you weren't, you were a nobody with no voice until the Forums showed up. Why would I of all people want all of my stuff gone? Ask yourself that. I'd say it's pretty fucking simple, but it's not apparently, you must suffer from some kind of mental disorder, and so I'll explain it a little more "clearer". My Friends and I have the most to lose from this, we have everything you could ever imagine, so why would we want those things to be gone, those things we worked years and years for. Camped every MVP by the hour, setting alarms just to wake up so no one could compete, holding every WoE castle we wanted in hopes of getting the gods items we so desired. What do YOU have to lose? Nothing. You have shit gear and shit characters, I don't care if you think I'm attacking you or flaming you, the truth is the truth. You haven't fucking done anything but bitch and cry on forums about Eir being down, while having nothing to show for it on the server in the first place. The reason we want change to happen is because we actually want to see Eir be successful, that's what we have always wanted, it might have gotten contorted over the years from anger towards management for making no changes and never listening, but it's the truth. But continue to cry and grasp at what little breaths you can, until the last breath is taken and Eir is no more, then you will open your eyes and see all you've done is destroy what you claim to love.

Edited by Hakuu (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, Hakuu said:

Lol. You attack me but ignore everything Myounar said. He's changed my mind, I've come to terms with the fact that you brain dead idiots will never accept change, you will continue to grasp at what little "love" you have for a server that's been dead for the past 5 years. And so the cycle continues, you idiots won't accept change, server continues to be shit and stays dead. YOU are the reason this server has never made progress, YOU are the reason this server is dead, YOU are the reason RRO will never make ANY money from Eir. You speak to me as though you were part of any major event that happened inside Eir, but you weren't, you were a nobody with no voice until the Forums showed up. Why would I of all people want all of my stuff gone? Ask yourself that. I'd say it's pretty fucking simple, but it's not apparently, you must suffer from some kind of mental disorder, and so I'll explain it a little more "clearer". My Friends and I have the most to lose from this, we have everything you could ever imagine, so why would we want those things to be gone, those things we worked years and years for. Camped every MVP by the hour, setting alarms just to wake up so no one could compete, holding every WoE castle we wanted in hopes of getting the gods items we so desired. What do YOU have to lose? Nothing. You have shit gear and shit characters, I don't care if you think I'm attacking you or flaming you, the truth is the truth. You haven't fucking done anything but bitch and cry on forums about Eir being down, while having nothing to show for it on the server in the first place. The reason we want change to happen is because we actually want to see Eir be successful, that's what we have always wanted, it might have gotten contorted over the years from anger towards management for making no changes and never listening, but it's the truth. But continue to cry and grasp at what little breaths you can, until the last breath is taken and Eir is no more, then you will open your eyes and see all you've done is destroy what you claim to love.

Well yea. I guess you are right. We want Eir to be success. This and that whatever. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. Seems like I am just a nobody after all.

But I'm still against server wipe. I'm just too lazy to level again and farm shit and all.

5 hours ago, Dragowiz said:

In regards to your wish for wipes and other major changes, I will tell you what my personal issue is: You are looking to starting a new server, not restoring Eir. Simple as that, what would make it the Eir that people are returning to if everything was changed and you could suddenly reach max level and all the gear you want without any effort?

And what is wrong with that? If you mainly aim to bring back old players then what is the point in even having Eir back? Eir died because of those players. Eir had devolved into a shithole where the goal was to gang up against Illuminati and you can even see that in how @Fizsterina seems to mainly want to argue against @Hakuu regardless of what is being said. Eir was broken for at least the last 10 years and it was just left as it was which ended up pushing away new players from coming to the server. 

The newbie buffer, newbie gear vendor and the sort was mainly used to level alt accounts/characters by old players. Just because such things existed it doesn't mean it actually helped NEW players since there's no reason for actual new players to stick around when they can't even find a decently priced Undershirt/Pantie set or even a sub 2-3m Odin's Blessing. New players will find it really hard and slow to make money while old players can just sell any leftover item from their storage and put its price at several millions then wait for it to sell even weeks later since they're in no rush. The server had a huge inflation, greed drew the prices way up and even though that doesn't really matter much to old players it makes a huge difference for new players.

And at least I am not one to overlook the fact that old players probably have better income than before and are willing to spend money on the server. But how is that any different than before? The average age in Eir back then was already relatively high which was around 20-24 years I believe. Most of those people already had disposable income so they spent it in the game. You had people who spent several thousands of dollars on Eir alone, the first one to pop in my head being Huami, and even then you still had the server go down so why would that even matter? If you don't cater to new players first and foremost then it doesn't matter how many old players come back, the server already died once with and because of those old players and it probably will again if @Big Dumb Object decides to do things the way you guys say.

I will try to keep this as breif as possible as most of the ideas would have been floated before in an attempt to fix the server before it was shutdown.

Firstly we should classify things into PVM - Player verse monster and PVP - Player verse player.

As I mainly enjoyed the PVM side of the game I will start here.

PVM - For PVM the enjoyment comes from hunting mvp's in the wild as a baseline however after playing on multiple ragnarok low rate servers over many years I will tell you there is and always will be no lifers who just camp the mvp's all day and every day, Grief play persists in every server that doesn't have active GM's such as EIR had and will likely receive. It won't matter how many mvp cards exist or will exist, the (PROBLEM) no lifers will ruin the mvp hunts in the wild for the majority of the community.

Proposed Solution - Allow people to collect 5 bloody branches upon login per day and have an expiry of 12 hours. The no lifers will still hunt the premium mvp's however others will receive a greater chance of enjoying the hunt of those mvp's from bloody branches. I know not all mvp's are in bloody branches but I beleive enjoyment will still be had. For newer players it gives them a chance to enjoy hunting the mvp's and party with others for interaction and enjoyment. IMO there has always been people around to assist others in killing bloody branch mvp's and giving the bloody branch opener the loot. I do not see the increased chance of getting mvp cards as an issue as the rate is extremely low and WOE will always not be enjoyable for many regardless of how many mvp cards are around.

Instances such as Nidd dragon, Fluffy, Poring Rain, RDC, Kraken, Endless tower also assist greatly in providing PVM fun.

PVP - Yes the PVP experience was ruined on EIR by the elite geared and carded, regardless of how they got them WOE became unbalanced beyond repair. I dont think their can be a true balance change without a full redesign limiting equipment and cards. My suggestion however is to make all consumables used in PVP interactions to be made available in a shop basically free of charge. I think people would still be inclined to participate if they were not wasting millions of zenny fighting for an unwinnable castle. Who knows maybe conquest will have less of a monopoly than the past WOE castles. BG gears should be much more easily attainable than in the past also.

This is an extremely old game now so do not for 1 second think a low rate server will survive without convenience being added to the game.

By convenience I mean, free or cheap 1 click healer NPC, access quests eliminated, dungeon level warps and easily attainable pvp supplies/equipment.

Excuse the spelling, grammar and see the proposed solutions to our past and potentially future problems.

Some of the members posting in this thread were not even around Eir in its first years or were completely irrelevant so... yeah. Good job trashing yet another thread in record time though.

#stopwipingourforumaccounts

I played on Eir for many many years before it died and I would like to say I was apart of Eir during it's prime. It was fun. Lots of guilds during WoE. Not the 2-3 we had during the end days. And, as much as I'd hate to agree with it, I do think this server needs to be completely wiped if we were to get the population back up. Starting from scratch is the best way to attract new people. One of the reasons why Eir was the last RO server I ever played on when it died was because: all the time I invested in it, couldn't find any active servers that weren't already too far gone, the active servers I did find, the people who were on top were waaay too out of reach. That's the problem this server has. The people who are on top are always going to be there as long as they get to keep the stuff they have. Trust me, I don't want to see my stuff gone. I worked years for it. The only thing I think that should be left on each account would be the donates since people actually paid real money for those, lest they get removed as well.

Not only that, but there does need to be new additions being brought forward. This server is outdated by a lot. We need to get new stuff added in if we are to compete with other low rate servers. As long as we keep the stuff that was unique to Eir, and be updated to match the content of other servers, we'll have a chance to compete and get our population back up. The Notoriety quest line and the misc little mini events we had were great additions that made us unique. We need more stuff like that. Not to mention, actual active GMs that will help regulate the content and handle feedback.

As for custom NPCs. I don't think having an NPC that just gives you mats is a good idea. Maybe one that sells the materials you need to make said mats is good. At least then people would still need to have the means to an end to get the stuff. Not just walk up to an NPC, buy 10k pots, done. Especially not one where the stuff is free. That's just asking for way too much. We also need to fix the existing NPCs that aren't working properly such as the rental NPC or restore the Kafras back to default.

That's about all I got. My two cents on it. Although I doubt Eir is actually going to get any real attention unless the admins actually want to make this a profitable server again and weren't just reopening it for laughs. Let's see what happens.

Edited by Mishap (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Sorcerer said:

on an unrelated note, hey hakuu are you still banned? kek

Am not. Thanks for asking hun.

22 hours ago, Big Dumb Object said:

http://blog.rebirthro.com/woe-barrier-of-entry-smithing/

Thor and Eir will be getting this as well.

In Eir this does nothing to combat the amount of MVP Cards and God item's that exist. The gap is still too large.

14 minutes ago, Hakuu said:

In Eir this does nothing to combat the amount of MVP Cards and God item's that exist. The gap is still too large.

I'll agree to this one..

6 hours ago, Hakuu said:

That's wrong. It does close the gap.